Communication Matters – Research Matters: An AAC evidence base
Research Lead – Independent Consultant
Contract until March 2013
(1 day per month to October 2012 then 2 days per month before March 2013)
Communication Matters is seeking an experienced consultant, with research knowledge, to lead its exciting collaborative project ‘Communication Matters – Research Matters’, which has been awarded £467,751 by the National Lottery’s BIG Lottery Fund.
The project will deliver essential research to support the needs of people who need/use augmentative and alternative communication (AAC). Communication Matters leads a project team consisting of three partner organisations: Sheffield University, Barnsley NHS Foundation Trust and Manchester Metropolitan University. The partners are responsible for meeting the project aims which are to establish the prevalence of need for AAC and map existing provision across the UK (Sheffield University and Barnsley Assistive Technology Service) and to create and maintain an accessible on-line data base of best practice in the provision of resources and ongoing support for people who use AAC (Mancester Metropolitan University).
Based at home the Research Lead has specific responsibility for:
- Providing overall guidance on the Big Lottery Fund research project to the Board of Trustees including ensuring compliance with the statutory financial and legal responsibilities of the project
- Providing guidance and supervision to the Research Manager who is responsible for day to day management of the project ensuring all milestones and outputs are achieved
- Attendance at quarterly review meetings with partners, 6 monthly review meetings with Independent Research Panel (some of these may be combined on one day)
- Effective dissemination of research findings in collaboration with the Research Team towards the end of the project
The post requires a level of flexibility with the structured meetings providing a framework for working with the Research Manager and the Trustees, a calendar will be published in advance. Some months the role might only involve telephone meetings and email correspondence and at other times travel to UK locations. The remuneration is £400 per day plus out of pocket expenses which will be paid directly to the Consultant, not via a third party.
- Completed application forms (CVs not accepted) should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: Friday 4 June, 2010, 5pm (no agencies)
Interviews: in London Friday 11 June 2010
Enquiries to: email@example.com