Hub – covering: South West
(Previously named ‘Bristol Communication Aid Service (BCAS)’)
Bristol Centre for Enablement, Highwood Pavilions, Jupiter Road, Patchway
Tel: 0117 414 5850
Contact: Vicky Styles (Service Manager)
220 referrals per year
As the NHS England contract holder for the South West, AAC WEST are able to provide the following services to clients who meet the national service specification for referral to a specialist AAC assessment centre:
- Short term loan of equipment for evaluation.
- Provision of equipment for long term use.
- Quality assurance evaluation
- Speech and Language Therapy (this includes the services clinical lead)
- Occupational Therapists
- Clinical Assistant practitioners
- Supported by a clinical scientist from the Bristol Environment Control Service
- Equipment manager supported by a team
- A Teacher
Permanent or project
Year set up
All incoming referrals to AAC WEST must be made through the clients local speech and language therapist. Referral forms can be found at https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/bristol-centre-enablement/referral-centre/bristol-communication-aid-service-referral. Local Speech and Language Therapists are encouraged to call AAC WEST to have a pre referral discussion for cases where it is unclear if the client meets the referral criteria.