Study days explore a single aspect of AAC and provide a great learning opportunity.
2018 Study Days
AAC and Literacy Best Practice Study Day
Friday 27th April 2018
The second in a series of AAC and Literacy based days. This day will meet the needs of children in both special and mainstream schools and be suitable for both professionals and family members. This study day will overlap with topics discussed at the previous study day, if you attended the last one you can still attend this, and if you did not attend the first one then it doesn't preclude you from attending this one.
The day will include the following:
- Special interest talks on issues that relate directly to the challenges faced in delivering literacy to students who use AAC and the challenges students face in acquiring those skills.
- Table top workshops with hands on experience of resources currently available to support the teaching of literacy to AAC users
- Exhibition from suppliers of products directly related to AAC and literacy.
Costs: £65 members, £75 non-members and £40 for family members
Venue: ACE Centre (North Office), Hollinwood Business Centre, Albert Street, Oldham, OL8 3QL
Draft Timetable 9.30am-4.30pm (contents are subject to change):
- Welcome, housekeeping and who are CM?
- Session 1 - Table Top Swap - Practical workshops on how to use different suppliers' resources in class.
- Tea/Coffee break
- Session 2 - Interest Talks - Talks to include topics such as: Exam access, Cognition and learning, Literacy levelling, Adapting the curriculum
- Lunch and Supplier Exhibition
- Session 3 - Feedback from DfE Literacy and AAC Project / Focus Group Discussion
- Session 4 - Table Top Swap - Practical workshops on how to use different suppliers' resources in class.
- Reflection from Focus Groups
- Final word and Finish
More information to follow. Download booking form.
Recent Study Days
AAC & Literacy Best Practice Study Day - 28th April 2017
Held at The Clare Charity Centre in Saunderton with a keynote from Rebecca Loza (Read Write Inc.) and plenary by Marion Stanton & Adam Lenartowicz. There were also talks from parents (Chantal Bryan & Jules Whicher), teachers (Laura Baggley & Hester Mackay) and 4 suppliers and the day ended with some workshops. The day addressed the needs of children in special and mainstream school & hoped to kickstart a special interest group with subsequent days to be planned. The days are suitable for professionals and family members.
Communication in ASD: AAC, Research & Practice Study Day - 20 April 2016
Held at The Lift, London and led by Dr Elaine Clark, Darryl Morgan, Helen Robinson & Dr Greg Pasco (representatives from health, education and research). This study day looked at the use of augmentative communication devices and systems with people with autism.
AAC, Literacy and Complex Needs Study Day - 1 April 2016
Held at Birkbeck College, London and led by Jane Farrall and Sally Clendon. This workshop covered the rationale and principles underlying a balanced comprehensive approach to literacy instruction for all students.
Symbolisation Towards Literacy Study Day - 15 June 2015
Held at Manchester Metropolitan University and led by Janice Murray (MMU) and Martine Smith (Trinity College Dublin). Explored the relationship between symbol communication and the development of literacy.