Countries all over the world are celebrating International AAC Awareness Month in October with imaginative awareness raising events, including a ’24 Hour Non Speech Challenge’ to only use alternative means of communication – such as writing, symbols, gestures, applications – for a day.
Why not organise an event in your school, workplace or neighbourhood? Here are some ideas from events taking place around the world:
- A 24 Hour AAC Chat / Read-a-Thon on Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Skype, Anywhere!
- A 12-hour chat on Facebook, Skype and Twitter
- Webinars on Social Media and People with Disabilities: Building Online Networks to Enhance Community Engagement and Create a Level Playing Field.
- A ‘Quiet Coffee’ event where communication boards and small devices will be available for people to use in order to request coffee and snacks, and to chat with each other.
- A ‘flash mob’ singing a specially written song using AAC devices.
For more information about the above events and International AAC Awareness Month, visit www.isaac-online.org/english/aac-awareness/international-aac-awareness-m…