Frequently asked questions about augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) and the benefits it can offer.
These questions have been put together based on our research and we are in the process of answering the questions raised. These issues will be addressed in much of the site content. Any additional questions and potential sources of information that you would like to suggest are very welcome – please contact us.
Some FAQs are generic in nature and some are specific to children or adults. Some questions apply across each section but need different answers. Many answers will be provided with links through to other websites and factsheets, where we have found useful existing resources.
The questions are in no particular order of importance and address the following issues:
- What is augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) and what types of communication are there?
- How can AAC help with communication difficulties resulting from different medical conditions and in different therapies?
- How can AAC be used in education, employment and social situations?
- What support is required and what services and funding are available?
- What training is available to help?