An AAC assessment service for Children in Cornwall was jointly commissioned by a NHS Health Trust and Cornwall Council in September 2009. Initially a Speech and Language Therapist and an AAC Officer were funded for 1 day per week. There were many barriers to overcome and we shall explore what we learnt from the process.
You will hear about:
- Decisions we made on how to provide a service with a limited number of hours and a limited budget for equipment
- Development of our referral pack and service Pathway
- Case studies through the Pathway
- Need to provide training and development on low-tech solutions
- Continual need to revise the above
- Complexities of working across multi-agencies.
At the end of the session you should have some idea of what works and what does not!