You are here

Related University Courses

Please note that this is not a definitive list of courses available and CM does not endorse them but provides this list for information purposes only.

City University London

City runs two degree courses for students who wish to become Speech and Language Therapists. One is a four year, undergraduate course (BSc Speech and Language Therapy). The other is an intensive, 2 year post graduate course for students who already have a first degree (Post Graduate Diploma/MSc in Speech and Language Therapy). Both courses combine academic study with clinical placement experience. See: and also offer MSc courses for students who wish to extend their knowledge about communication disorders and research. One is intended primarily for practising speech and language therapists (MSc in Advanced Practice in Health and Social Care, Speech Language and Communication). The other is designed for teachers and therapists, and is run in collaboration with UCL's Institute of Education (Speech, Language and Communication Needs in Schools: Advanced Practice MSc). See: and School of Health Sciences offers a range of short courses designed for health and care practitioners. These include some options relating to speech, language and communication. See:

University of Reading

There are two speech and language programmes offered by University of Reading, both are approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and recognised by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists.
Students study linguistics, medical sciences, psychology and language pathology as well as how to diagnose, assess and treat communication disorders. They also learn IT skills, develop a range of oral and communication skills and build up work related skills. A large component of the programme is spent on clinical placements. Students have placements with a range of client groups, in various settings and experience different methods of service delivery. As well as offering self-funded places, we also have NHS-funded places on both programmes. We currently have 30 NHS-funded places each year on the BSc programme and 10 NHS-funded places on the MSc programme. BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy: The BSc programme is a four-year, full-time programme. For further information please go to: Speech and Language Therapy: The MSc programme is an accelerated programme: it is offered only on a full-time basis and lasts two calendar years. Further information can be found at: about both programmes can be made to [email protected] or by telephoning 0118 378 8135.

De Montfort University, Leicester

The Human Communication - Speech and Language Therapy degree (BSc Hons) enables students to learn about working with people of all ages and types who have difficulties, or a combination of difficulties, with communication, drinking, eating or swallowing. Successful completion of the programme leads to eligibility to apply to join the HCPC register of speech and language therapists. Reasons to study Human Communication - Speech and Language Therapy at De Montfort University:
- 97 per cent of students rated an overall satisfaction with the quality of their course (DLHE 2012/2013)
- Fully accredited by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
- UK students may benefit from a means - tested bursary and payment of tuition fees by the NHS
- 98 per cent of all Health and Life Sciences graduates are in employment or further study within six months of completing their course (DHLE 2013/2014)
More information is available here:

Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

We run both a BSc (Hons) degree and a PGDip (pre-registration qualification). The BSc is four years full time and the PGDip is 2 years full time and requires entrants to have a previous degree. Both programmes have specific components on AAC, but they are not available as individual modules, so people would only be able to access them if they register for the whole course. If you would like information on the above programmes visit: BSc - and PGDip -

University of Strathclyde

BSc (Hons) in Speech and Language Pathology: AAC will be touched upon in different classes through Years 1-3 where appropriate e.g. our adult dysarthria lecturer will speak about this in her classes in 3rd year, as will a colleague in her 3rd class regarding cerebral palsy. Currently in 4th year we have a specialist module in AAC; at present the whole class attends this (20 hours) but in the past this has been an option from a list of specialist subjects and interested students only would have chosen this. We don't have a rolling programme of postgraduate opportunities to study AAC, though it wouldn't be impossible to complete a MSc/MPhil/PhD in this field if a student was awarded funding to do so. Course pages are available here or email [email protected]

Birmingham City University

The BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy degree at Birmingham City University is offered full time in 3 years or part time in 6 years. You will explore linguistics and psychology, to learn how communication develops and changes throughout life. You will study anatomy and physiology, to understand the functions of speech, language, and swallowing. You will look in depth at the assessment and management of children and adults with communication and swallowing difficulties. Working with service users in simulated activities allows you to approach practical situations in a safe environment. Clinical placements allow you to put theory into practice. Further information is available here

University of East Anglia

The BSc Speech & Language Therapy course at the University of East Anglia is a 3 year course designed around the main client groups that speech & language therapists work with. This means students learn the core academic knowledge required in meaningful contexts, and this is applied to case studies from the start of their study here. As communication difficulties impact on all areas of life we feel it important that students consider this and we encourage a social model of intervention. Amongst other resources we have a dedicated ‘speech laboratory’ where students can explore alternative means of communication. Link to the current webpage:

There are many other universities that offer courses in Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy and applied courses in AAC. The University of Dundee and University of Huddersfield are included in this list where students have carried out specific projects on AAC.